As a business and an agency we’re constantly striving to be Google’s best friend for both our own benefit and on behalf of our clients, so it’s no surprise that the top 5 things we learnt yesterday at the Digital Marketing Show at London’s Excel were Google related.
- Google Knowledge Graph has been around since 2012, however it’s set to become even more prominent in 2016. By becoming more of a landing page, Google is providing searchers with the information they are looking for up front so it’s important that we make an effort become involved in this.
- Google released a new algorithm update a couple of weeks ago. This update uses a machine-learning artificial intelligence system called RankBrain to help process search results. It attempts to make sense of longer tail searches so users are delivered content relevant to what they are looking for.
- Mobile apps have now started being indexed in Google search results. The content within the apps has also started to be indexed. Since 89%* of time on mobile is spent using mobile apps, this is not surprising.
- 60% of businesses don’t make use of the free data highlighter tool, available in Webmaster tools. So get ahead of the competition and make sure Google knows what the most important information on your site is!
- Location advertising is set to be big in 2016 so make sure your Google AdWords are set up to take advantage of relevant locations and times.
One last little nugget, to check how friendly your website is with Google, try this free tool: http://nibbler.silktide.com/
Like this post?